Friday 8 August 2014

New Years resolutions - Complete!


For 2014 i set myself two big (to me) challenges to complete.


CHALLENGE 1.

Last year i started running and to keep me on track i decided to register for the Leeds half marathon on 11th May 2014. 13.1 miles to anyone that isn't familiar with race lengths.


I had a tough old time finding the right running shoes, but thats a whole different story. But thank god for my Asics GT 2000 trainers that have stuck with me the whole way.

Training was tough. Starting from running 5k a week to upping the mileage to be able to comfortably run 10k took time. I took part in the Wakefield Hospice 10k with my friend Kate to get the feel of what a race would be like and we completed it in 56 minutes.


After completing the 10k it was time to start getting sponsored for the big race. I managed to raise just short of £600 for the RNIB which is a charity for the blind. My Grandad has recently been registered as blind so it meant alot to me to run for a charity that does so much to help him.


My brothers friend Bijan was my training rock throughout the whole journey. He kept me going through all the painful stitches, the uphill climbs, the hot & cold weather and anything else that got in our way. I couldn't have done it without him, it really does make a massive difference to train with someone rather than going at it by yourself.


I completed the half marathon in 02:03:21 and i believe Bijan was about 10 minutes faster. I kept a steady pace throughout and didn't walk once. I think i've set a pretty decent time to beat next year. 

 CHALLENGE 2.

Tough Mudder!

Probably the more exciting of the two challenges and definitely my favourite one to take part in. I kept my running training up for this whilst also doing a lot of kettlebell workouts for strength although nothing could really prepare Team Diamond for what was to come.....

Tough Mudder is a 10-12 mile obstacle course designed to test all-around strength, stamina, teamwork, and mental grit. Tough Mudder is Probably the Toughest Event on the Planet. Probably.

Team Diamond consisted of
From left to right - Carrieanne (Beauties Unlocked), My brother Mike, My good friend Sam, and Myself.

The course was MASSIVE. Other the Yorkshire moors it wasn't going to be easy. There were alot of up and downhills. There was alot of mud. And there were some tough obstacles to overcome.

Below is the course map



 The below images are a few of the standout obstacles for me personally. They are also taken from the official Tough Mudder website as it might have proved a bit difficult to take a camera round with us, haha.

Everest

Conquering Everest takes major grit and teamwork. Sprint up this quarter-pipe obstacle and enlist the help of other Mudders℠ to pull you over the beastly summit. Everest is coated in mud and grease, a combo that might send you right back from where you came. Suck it up and keep climbing. The view from the top is worth it.

 
Hangin' Tough

This obstacle holds the title for the lowest completion percentage. You’ll need a strong grip and precise coordination to conquer it. Swing Tarzan-style across a series of hanging rings spaced 1.2 to 1.8 meters apart and suspended over a pool of muddy water. For those of you who talk a big game, this obstacle will show you just how tough you really are.
Obstacle Stat: Only 30% of Mudders℠successfully complete Hangin’ Tough.

Arctic Enema

This obstacle arguably takes the most mental grit of them all. Some athletes use ice baths for recovery, but your muscles aren’t going to be relaxed after a swim in this freezing skip. Climb right into the floating iceberg abyss—don’t overthink it. When you’re submerged, find the mental and physical strength to swim through the ice, under a wooden plank and pull yourself out on the other end. You’ll come out feeling like shrink-wrapped leftovers straight out of the freezer. Emphasis on the shrink


Electroshock Therapy

Run through a field of live wires that sure as hell don’t tickle. Watch out for hay bales and deep sinkholes, or you will face-plant into some electrifying mud. Some Mudders℠ try to stealthily wind their way through the wires, while others barrel forward to get through as quickly as possible. Just keep your eye on the prize: this is the last obstacle you face before you cross the finish line.


Mud Mile

Slosh through a series of waist-deep mud pits and try not to lose your shoes in the process. Balance and coordination are key if you want to make it through this mud-run obstacle without face-planting…but what’s the fun in that? Real Mudders℠ eat mud for breakfast.


 It was an amazing experience and all four of us can't wait to take part again next year and become MUDDER LEGIONNAIRES.

All Mudders are rewarded with a tough mudder headband & a t shirt. The headbands change colour for each course you complete so you don't just end up with a million orange headbands.

There's also a pint of delicious Ginger Grouse Ginger Beer waiting for you as you cross the finish line.

The pictures below do not do any justice as to how muddy we actually got, one of the obstacles close to the end results in jumping into water which washes pretty much most of the mud off you.

 





So that's my resolutions done for my fit 2014. I'm also taking part in the Leeds Abbey Dash in November and then it's on to planning next year's challenges.

Bring it on.



9 comments:

  1. Amazing!! My boyfriend has been talking about doing the Tough Mudder, some day I will do it!! I give you so much credit!

    Love your blog! I have nominated you for the Liebster Award! http://caityslittleconfessions.blogspot.com/2014/08/the-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its amazing, the sense of achievement getting over the finish line is so good!

      Thankyou for the nomination however i have already done a Liebster post :)

      xx

      Delete
  2. So many amazing achievements- well done! Love your trainers too :)

    Style Sunrise ☀

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much, the trainers have been life savers. I never realised how important the right fitting shoes were!

      xx

      Delete
  3. Amazing work! I did Sheffield half marathon three years ago and my parents were my trainers (they're both obsessive runners). It's such a challenge but so amazingly worth it when you cross that finish line!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. It's all about finding the right trainers definitely, had a friend who didn't believe me that you should always buy running shoes a size bigger. Two lost toe nails later and she admitted I might be right ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urgh thats horrendous!! hahaha

      Thankyou :) It was such an achievement to get to the end, very proud of myself. Gonna do the 10k Abbey Dash in November and i'll probably do the half marathon again next year but who knows what else might be round the corner!

      xx

      Delete